Frequently Asked Questions

How much is Dinner Money?

Presently the daily cost is £2.20 per day although for children in Yr R, 1 and 2 they are free through the government’s Universal Infant Free School Meals scheme. If you wish to pay for your child’s meals by cheque please make these payable to Chartwells.


What should I put in my child’s packed lunch?

We encourage healthy eating and expect parents to choose healthily when creating a packed lunch.

An example of a healthy packed lunch:

  • A sandwich (no peanut butter) or a pasta salad or couscous etc.
  • A bag of crisps no more than once a week, except baked snacks e.g. Baked crisps, cheese biscuits which may be given more regularly.
  • A wafer biscuit.
  • Yoghurt and a piece of fruit.
  • Bottle of water or juice.
  • No sweets, fizzy drinks, nuts or chocolate (unless covering a wafer/biscuit)




What do I do if my child is late to school?

Entrance gates will close  at 08:50. If your child is late for school, even by a few minutes, it is vital that you go to the School Office. This is not just so that we can monitor punctuality, but is essential for fire safety and security that they are signed in. 


What is the best time to talk to the teacher if I have a question?

We would discourage parents from trying to talk to a teacher in the morning as they are busy preparing for the school day and seeing the children safely into school. We would advise you to speak to the teacher at the end of the school day after all the children have been dismissed. We can also make appointments in the school office for parents to see the class teacher or another member of staff. 


What should I do if believe another child is being unkind to my child?

Advise your child to speak to an adult in the school. This can be any member of staff that they feel comfortable with. You may also wish to support your child by talking to your child’s class teacher. We would encourage that they report any incident to the class teacher as they can observe behaviour during lessons and advise lunchtime staff as necessary. We take such incidents very seriously and they are dealt with appropriately and with speed. If you are concerned about your child please speak to the head teacher and never approach a child or the parent.


What do I do if my child is prescribed medication?

If you wish school staff to administer medication to your child during the school day; you will need to complete a “Parental Agreement to Administer Medicine” form (available via the communication tab of the school website) and hand this completed form into the school office along with the medication.


Can I park at the school?

We do not have a car parking facilities on site. The school is situated in a residential area and we ask parents to park legally and with due consideration for our neighbours. Visitors to the school should street park in “Zone H”. Should your visit to the school be longer than an hour upon arrival at the office you will need to request a parking permit.


How do I get onto the site?

Between 08:40-08:50 and also 15:15 - 15:25 you may access the school via the Byron Road, Chaucer Road or Milton Road gates. At all other times, access is only available via the Byron Road gate.


Can my child cycle to school?

No, we do not have a safe place to store children’s bicycles. The roads around the school are highly congested at peak times and unsuitable for unsupervised minors to cycle.


Can my child walk to / from school alone?

FS, KS1 and LKS2 children must be accompanied to and from school by an adult or a responsible older sibling. With written permission from a parent/carer, UKS2 children may walk to and from school unaccompanied if you choose for them to do so.


Can my child bring toys in to school?

No, we discourage toys or collectables (e.g. football cards) being brought to school, unless the class teacher has specifically requested that they do so. Please always check with the class teacher.


Can my child bring a mobile phone to school?

No, unless due to mitigating circumstances and following a discussion with a member of the Senior Leadership Team they have received written permission from the head teacher to do so. Those children who have received written permission to bring a mobile phone must leave the device in the office each morning and collect it at the end of the school day. The school cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage to phones that are brought into school by children, this is done at parent's own risk.


What do I do if my child has lost a piece of clothing?

Parents must either sew a name label into all clothing or write the child’s name in indelible ink. If an item of clothing is found and it has a name in it, it will be returned to the child’s class. If it does not have a name in it, it will be put in the lost property cupboard located in the school hall. This cupboard is emptied at Christmas, Easter and the end of the summer term with any unclaimed items of clothing being donated to charity.